The best way to discover authentic Sri Lankan culture is by paying a visit to one of the rural villages. Villages around Dambulla still hold on to the old ways of life. Arranged visits include a lunch at a villagers home, traditional cooking class, slash and burn cultivation visit, canoe ride in a reservoir, bullock cart ride, trekking and bird watching experiences. It is a good way to relax and enjoy a different culture at your own pace.
Advantages of rural village visits from Dambulla
- Low crowds
- No guide needed.
- Short visits are possible
- Bird watching opportunities
- Friendly villagers
- Good diversion from the usual travel route
Things to look out for when you are visiting rural villages from Dambulla
- Choose a reliable tour organizer. There are many tourist traps involving hidden charges, bad services, last minute cancellations and other undesirable scenarios.
- Leave before it is dark. You do not want to run into wild elephants at night.
- If you are going on your own, agree on a price before starting your arranged visit but never pay before the tour is over.
- Check reviews if available. There are many service providers.